Saturday, October 24, 2015

Anglican Glass Piece - SCA Maunche award

Hi:  I have been doing alot of Medieval style painting this year [2015] but have not been posting.  I am going to start by describing a piece that I did for a dear friend who got her Maunche award in Jan of 2015.  I will call this my Anglian glass piece.  The person who I was doing this for has a personna in the SCA of a 5th/6th century Anglian,  Of course there are no examples of glass work from this time so I did not have any "examples". What I decided to do is take some jewelry designs of the time and make them glass designs.  Since this was going to be a two part scroll...one part glass...one part regular illumination/calligraphy on paper it was very unique.

From Nigel Mills Saxon and Viking Artefacts book I took the design from a "S" shaped brooch.

Then I found a picture of Style I Animal, I am sorry but I did not write the source down. Then I combined both designs into one. See the "drawing" below.


Then came the color choices.  Based on some research that I have previously done I figured that I would go with yellow, blue, green for the three pcs on the outside and amber for the middle one.

I started with the inner circle by using Black tracing paint and doing the outline and firing it onto the glass



Although I know that it would not be "period"  I wanted more interest in the middle pc so I painted it with a light layer of Bistre brown paint and then brushed away the paint until the two "heads" had a form. I fired it onto the glass.



I felt the the outer circle could be a very stark primitive design so I painted the black tracing paint on them and fired the pcs in my kiln.  I had to do the larger areas twice as the paint did not take well the first time on these areas.  This paint is meant to be a tracing paint. It is not meant to be used to fill in large black areas.







Then I put them together with the amber circle in the middle and the other three pieces around the edge.  I soldered them together and cemented them.


Next I put black pantina on it to create contrast.



The piece was ready to be put together with the illumination/calligraphy.   I cut two pcs of plain glass that the paper could go between and set them into the frame with the stained glass piece.
















No comments:

Post a Comment