Saturday, October 24, 2015

SCA Laurel Glass Scroll for Cooking and Sewing

I was told that a good friend and mentor of mine was getting her SCA Laurel in cooking and sewing.  I have always admired and learned alot about cooking from her...so I wanted to do her scroll.

First I looked up medieval items that would apply to cooking and sewing and drew sketches of them.  Because her scroll would need to have her "Arms"  I drew them up also for my pattern and lastly I drew the Laurel leaves enclosing what would be the actual words on her scroll.

Below is the sketch which has been put down on the working board [plywood]and the edges of came have been placed to start the piece.



I wanted this piece to be colorful so I selected two  different colors of glass for the medieval items - sewing needle, pot, cooking implements and sissors



Because in period they would not have painted her "Arms" in the colors that she had and I could not do the very fine came work.  I decided to fuse the middle part of it.



However for the "counter ermine" part of her arms I did a very thin wash of the black tracing paint.  Then I used a dental tool and "scratched" away the black paint so that the white glass showed through...that was alot more work than I expected....



When I put them together....it came out like this:


I started putting it together



I did a decal for the words and fused it to the glass. Then I put clear fusable glass over it to protect the words.



Then I worked on the Laurel leaves around the words...and soldered it.



I cemented it and I put black patina on it and then framed the piece.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get this picture to be in the correct direction...Sorry....








No comments:

Post a Comment