Saturday, October 24, 2015

Siege of Canterbury Court Baroncy SCA Scroll

In April of 2015 I found out that a very dear friend was getting his Court Baroncy in the SCA.   Now
he is also the "warlord" for the East Kingdom.  I volunteered to do a stained glass piece for his scroll.   I had always wanted to "replicate"  a window in Canterbury Cathedral called "The Siege of Canterbury".  Since he was a "warlord" if felt this would be very appropriate to base his scroll on this window. It shows warriors both defending and attacking the Cathedral



 I decided to take the middle out and put his "scroll" words there.  Below is the sketch that I did for the design. It was 13" in diameter...when I finished labeling all the pieces, I realized that it would have over 130 pcs of glass!  Quite a project.



I quickly realized that I needed to color in the pieces on the sketch in order to keep track of them.


Almost all of the 130 + pcs were both painted with black tracing paint and then shaded with bistre brown.

Now that I am actually doing the blog on this piece...I realized that I was so intense on making it that I took very few step by step pictures.  The one below shows it partially finished.  The "Crown"in the middle was tracking black paint shaded with the brown bistre.  Then the words were a decal fired onto glass...with a clear fusable glass fired over it.  You can see some of the tiny pcs that I worked with around the other part.

Below isa picture of the scroll soldered but not black pantina'd yet.














No comments:

Post a Comment